I've worked with Omeka, and while it's great, I don't think it's ideal for
what he's looking for.  It's really meant for digital libraries, or as a
frontend to a repository, rather than as a bare-bones repository.

For instance, I'm not sure how you would cleanly and simply handle the
submitter-set permissions, with authentication, in Omeka without writing a
fair amount of custom code.  Omeka (right now, at least) makes a strong
distinction between public and private, but doesn't have strong user-based
ownership of items.  I don't think it would be impossible, and I love Omeka,
but I think there are probably better options available out of the box.

- Dave Mayo