I had been planning on ignoring this tempest in a teapot, but I feel that I
may have something to say in this matter.

"how would an applicant feel...".  As it turns out, I am in the process of
applying for positions.  In fact, I am interested in exploring this
particular position.  I have been in the library field for some time and
have read (and respected) Roy Tennant's views and research for years.  Never
would it even have occurred to me to think of him as a corporate shill for
OCLC.  It CERTAINLY has not persuaded nor manipulated me one way or the
other in terms of applying for the job.

I think that the question Roy asked was a thoroughly appropriate and
valuable one: asking one person to design an IR from the ground up on their
own COULD be a pretty daunting task.  His question helped to clarify the
position description.  I think that it is inaccurate - I would even say,
utterly inappropriate - to ascribe subversive motives to what was
essentially a request for more information.  I would agree that emacs vs. vi
wars are less of a waste of considerable bandwidth than this discussion has
generated.

BTW - I am using my personal email rather than that of the institution at
which I work, lest somebody think that I speak for that institution.

Stephen Westman
Somewhere in the Ethernet