That's what I thought too.  The only code example I found (one based on the
NYTimes article API) used the for-loop approach, so with the evidence of
your experience, I concluded it was the "correct" approach.

http://notetodogself.blogspot.com/2009/02/using-jquery-with-nyt-json-api.html

It still seems wrong to have to loop on the results container since there is
only ONE occurrence of it. It is the book_details element that repeats.

Tom