On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Doug Yancey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I've put an example of the php file (extension changed to .txt), along with
> the stylesheet I'm using in the following directory on our webserver:
>
> http://nc.ccrls.org/code4lib/

Thank you. I'll take a look.

> I was going to build a caching strategy into the php script itself, but
> recently discovered that our webserver can do output caching.  So I'm
> exploring that right now and want it working before this little project
> goes
> live.  I think it will improve performance, since these pages don't have to
> be up-to-the-minute current, and keep us well away from the NYT api limits.

The Reading Radar caches pages too. I imagine they would have a real concern
with API limits (unless the NY Times gives them a break).

> My only lingering question is whether or not this setup compromises my
> developer key.  I don't think it does, since that key is included in the
> php
> file itself and isn't visible in the output.  However, if others detect an
> issue here, I'd be grateful to hear about it.

One never knows how an API "vendor" will react, but given that the NY Times
features the Reading Radar in their API gallery, and it has had a lot of
traffic since it went live in 2009, I can't imagine that would have any
objection to yours or anybody else's.

http://developer.nytimes.com/reading_radar_app

Karen Coyle seems to have been involved with the bestseller API in the
context of developing a WorldCat book ordering system.

http://www.oclc.org/developer/news/building-new-york-times-bestsellers-application

There are only screenshots provided; no working example or code. I don't
know if this has progressed past the prototype stage, but it is a really
nice idea.

Tom

Tom