On 09/09/11 06:22, Yitzchak Schaffer wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Can anyone suggest projects or general approaches for providing access
> to digitized books on the web? We're not interested in CONTENTdm,
> Greenstone has worked for us in the past but will not work for our
> ongoing projects.

I think the problem here is that "providing access to digitized books on
the web" covers a lot of ground and there are multitudes of projects
which cover different portions of that ground.

There are a projects that focus on digitisation (scanning, OCR,
crowd-sourcing transcription, etc).

There are projects that focus on packaging (PDF creation, ebook
conversion, etc)

There are projects that focus on breaking your content out of
restrictive formats (PDF, DRM-breakers, .lit-crackers, etc)

There are projects that focus on particular kinds of books (novels,
papyri, manuscripts, peer-review works, critical editions, childrens
books, audio books, comics, etc)

There are projects that focus on workflow or searching or archival
formats and hundred more variants.

In short, the description of your problem is insufficient to recommend a
particular project/software/approaches, not withstanding the already
proffered recommendations from various parties on the list.

cheers
stuart
--
Stuart Yeates