Although the Open Bibliographic Principles [1] are very concise, as
someone who worked on the document it is hard for me to know to what
extent the "subtext" comes through. So here is a very short "elevator
speech" (e.g. what you could say to a colleague in 2-3 minutes)
rendition of what I see as the main goals:

1) The Principles address primarily the factual elements of
bibliographic description, which are assumed to not be under
copyright. It is a plus if other data (subject headings, etc.) can
also be treated as open.

2) The Principles include location information (URLs, call numbers,
DOIs), without which there is no connection between the bibliographic
data and the resource.

3) There are three primary recommendations:
   a) Make the statement of use (a license or other declaration) of
your data explicit so that others can know how they can use your data.
   b) Use a recognized license (CC, PDDL) appropriate to your data.
   c) Where possible, place no restrictions on the use of your data.
Any restrictions (e.g. non-commercial use, or attribution
requirements) make aggregating of bibliographic data from different
sources very difficult.

This reflects my view of the core principles, and YMMV, so I'm
interested to hear comments. And I'd love it if someone could come up
with a "bumper sticker" version -- a single line that sums it all up
and is catchy. (We probably don't need a jingle :-)).

kc

[1] http://openbiblio.net/principles/
--
Karen Coyle