You may want to take a look at:

http://librarysupportstaff.com/4automate.html

There are several free and low cost solutions but I don't know if there is one
that will be a viable solution for you.  Sounds like you need a self checkout
system like the 3m unit that connects to III although that particular system
would be priced way outside your budget.  But the idea is a patron scans there
card, mag stripe or bar code and then scans bar code from book/books.  Still
it would be the honor system.

You may want to check other links from the Google I used:

Linux personal library software with bar code

Thomas

On Friday 23 September 2011 18:27:33 you wrote:
> Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but if anyone can point me in the
> right direction...
>
> We have an unstaffed library and can't leave a computer in it. Is there a
> way to automate
>
> 1) with no computer - do circulation and catalog in the cloud. Volunteers
> bring in laptops to do circulation and clients access catalog with iphones
> 2) that doesn't cost a fortune
>
> Thanks so much
>
> Rowan

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst            P O Box 32026
University Library                                Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

Library Systems Help Desk: https://www.library.appstate.edu/help/