I know I should not take the bait... but if anything we say on this list -- however stupid or pedantic -- is taken as representing our employers and not our personal opinions; then I'm not sure this is a list I can participate in.  It is chilling to see veiled legal threats thrown around on this list.   I mostly lurk here anyways.  But if everything I say is going to be taken to be the official word of my employer, then basically I can't say anything at all as far as I understand, except maybe if I cut and paste from press releases / get everything I say vetted though a communications officer.

I read the announcement in a way more similar to the way Ya'aqov did than the way Roy did; but I don't see how Roy's comments were uncalled for.  As far as interfering with a recruitment (?) if anything this increased the visibility of this position.  I know I would not have bothered to read the position description (on a vacation day even) if I had not been curious to see why it had attracted so much attention.

Are there any ground rules or terms of use for this list...  All I can find is this:

https://listserv.nd.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0312&L=CODE4LIB&T=0&F=&S=&P=61

If it is official policy that we don't speak for ourselves, I'm out of here.