I may be wrong about this, but when you use a "not in" operator, you're
necessarily doing a table scan. Any indexes you have are not used in such
a query, so you'll definitely see a performance hit.

But if each independent query runs quickly, why not use a temporary table
to store the results of what you've got written as a subquery first, and
then use that presumably small, distinct list of institutions in the
subquery afterward? Something like this:

SELECT INTO #my_institutions
SELECT distinct institution FROM `renewals` WHERE snap_date < '2011-07-01'
EXEC

SELECT distinct institution from renewals
WHERE institution not in
(SELECT institution from #my_institutions)

That assumes you're able to SELECT INTO, but if not, just create yourself
a my_institutions table first.

Scot Colford
Web Services Manager
Boston Public Library