You know, that's a good point. This is our second Learning Community and
we're approaching it the same way that we approached the first one since it
was successful and resulted in presentation opportunities, etc. for
participants. Personally I think we have a "virtual fence" because we're
looking for people who are interested in actively participating all of the
aspects of our Learning Community. So, in that respect, we're equating an
application process with a commitment to active participation.

Is there a particular example of a successful learning community-esque
project that operated successfully without an application process that you
have in mind? If so, please share the information. We're always looking to
improve upon our community offerings.

Thanks for your comment and for any information you'd like to share!

--
Laura Warren
*Libraries Thriving and Information Literacy Intern*

“[Credo forces] us to ask at least whether we should begin to expect more
from a reference ebook collection than a faithful reproduction of a printed
text” -Library Journal, 15 October 2010