Hello NDSA Members,

Big thank you to the 33 partners who have responded to the storage survey so far! The Infrastructure working group is very excited about what we will be able to do with these results, but we really need to get a higher response rate.

So if your organization hasn't responded to the survey please take the time to respond by October 1st. http://bit.ly/ndsa-storage-survey

Here are some preliminary interesting results from the survey:
* Almost all of the respondents (97%) are storing preservation copies on spinning disk, and more than half are also continuing to use magnetic tape.
* More than 20% of respondents are already using third-party cloud storage providers to keep one copy of their content.
* Over 70% of respondents are planning on making significant changes to technologies in their storage architecture within the next three years.
* Over 70% of respondents have a strong preference to host, maintain, and control their own technical infrastructure for preservation storage.

We realize that some of the NDSA member organizations do not have preservation storage systems. If that is the case for your organization, please just send a short email to that effect to me [log in to unmask] and we will be able to take that into account for the coverage of the survey.

Again, thanks to the 33 members who have already responded. If you are not sure if a participant from your organization has responded yet please review the full list of respondents thus far.

Respondents thus far include:
AMPAS
CIESIN
Columbia University
California Digital Library
Columbia University Libraries
DuraSpace
FCLA
Harvard
ICPSR
Internet Archive
Johns Hopkins Sheridan Libraries
KY Dept. for Libraries and Archives
LOCKSS
Maryland State Archives
Michigan State University Library
NC Department of Cultural Resources
National Library of Medicine
New York University
Odum institute
PBS
Penn State
Portico
Rhizome
Roy Rosenzweig Center for History and New Media
Stanford
UC San Diego
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota Libraries
University of North Texas
University of Southern California
Utah State Archives
WGBH Educational Foundation
i/oTrak E-Z Photo Scan

Best,

Trevor Owens
Digital Archivist
National Digital Information Infrastructure and Preservation Program
Office of Strategic Initiatives
The Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave SE
Washington DC 20540-1300