On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Godmar Back <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Closer to the code4lib community: OCLC and Serials Solutions don't support
> JSONP in their webservices, either, even though doing so would allow cool
> services and would likely not affect their business models adversely in a
> significant way, IMO. We should keep lobbying them to remove these
> restrictions, as I've been doing for a while.

I agree. I'm not sure how pervasive it is at OCLC, but their MapFast
Service supports Cross Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) [1,2], which
means that JSONP isn't needed for modern browsers. Basically it's just
adding the following header to the JSON response:

    Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *

Something to think about when creating a web service for others, at any rate.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-Origin_Resource_Sharing
[2] http://inkdroid.org/journal/2011/02/09/oclcs-mapfast-and-cors/