"Ya'aqov Ziso" <[log in to unmask]>
> *... IRC is pretty accessible and open and not under the control of one
> private-sector corporation.  I'm somewhat disappointed that g+ is being
> adopted so uncritically ....*
> *=================*
> all in step with disclosing our ideas to OCLC Inc.

Tee-hee!  Now that's a bit different: OCLC is at least theoretically
governed by the libraries that use it.  Users don't own g+.

Sadly, as seems to happen in many co-ops, it seems to me like only a
few OCLC members get to exercise full democratic power because the
libraries, archives and museums elect regional councils that elect
another council that elect the trustees.  The decision-making seems
a bit too far from the grassroots, a democratic deficit.

BUT the input of the councils and the membership is on the
agenda for the upcoming global council meeting next month
http://www.oclc.org/uk/en/councils/global/meetings/default.htm
so do you think something that might be about to change?

As a member of another co-op in the library space, I live in hope!
http://koha-community.org supporter, web and LMS developer, statistician.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha