Our standard for doing MySQL backups is to replicate production
servers to a slave server and dump those on a hourly or daily basis.
We have a pretty complex system for dealing with code, and we back up
temporal data -- files, etc. -- locally to a NAS and then to S3.

We have almost everything on virtual servers that use a HA SAN for
most storage (home directories are on the NAS). The virtualization
system features automatic failover. It actually works.

All of this makes for a pretty durable infrastructure.

Thanks,

Cary

--
Cary Gordon