On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Will Kurt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I always think that Brown's FreeCite api is under utilized.
> http://freecite.library.brown.edu/
> It's far from perfect, but I'm sure more use could be made of it.
>
> A few months back I threw together a copy/paste citation look-up with it:
> CiteBox
> http://willkurt.github.com/CiteBox/
>
> Of course I don't think anyone is really making use of it, but I've
> also done nothing to really promote it either ;)

The FreeCite parser had major issues for a while with post-2000 dates,
and I believe the installation at Brown still does, but, to judge by
the GitHub activity (most active fork here:
https://github.com/rsinger/free_cite/), some enterprising folks have
picked it up after a period of apparent dormancy. This is great to
see, and vital to any project that hopes to use its API for anything
serious.

By the way, the rarely-used XML representation of OpenURL
ContextObjects that FreeCite produces is supported by Zotero as a
full-fledged input format, a fact that might come in handy if you're
hoping to have your API produce something that Zotero users can
import.

Avram

UCLA Slavic, Zotero community dev