Yeah, we've been doing a lot with (and putting a lot of updates into)
FreeCite.  We only use the webservice (although we don't use the
OpenURL context object and instead added a JSON response).  It works
pretty well (not always great, but certainly better than nothing) -
especially for giving us something "good enough" to throw against some
OpenLibrary and Crossref data to look for matches.  Basically what
we're using it for is to go from a citation string to an RDF graph.

BTW, there have been no problems with post-2000 dates (not to say that
there aren't plenty of other problems) - this might have been either a
training issue or something a later version of CRF++ worked out.  We
also add the citations it couldn't parse correctly to its training
data, which might help this.

Anyway, yeah, if anybody is interested, feel free to try it out.  One
thing my fork does is remove the PostgreSQL dependency, if that's an
issue for anybody.  It's kind of handy to be able to just use SQLite
or MySQL or whatever to try it out.

-Ross.