Quoting Jonathan Rochkind <[log in to unmask]>:

> For #2, you can provide a useful topical/subject type heading via
> much simpler and more feasible solutions than mapping to LCSH.  For
> #2, you don't need a map to LCSH, you need the LCC schedules with
> descriptions of what each range of LCC call numbers is for, in
> machine-readable form.

I would give the opposite advice. LCC will have fewer pre-composed
headings than LCSH at id.loc.gov, and the terminology associated with
the numbers in digital LCC will be less user-centric than the LCSH
subject headings. cf my most recent blog post:

    http://kcoyle.blogspot.com/2011/10/relativ-index.html

There isn't any entry vocabulary for users other than LCSH -- which
isn't really entry vocabulary to LCC and is definitely NOT entry
vocabulary to DDC.

kc

--
Karen Coyle