Hi Mike--

As far predicting the cost of digital archives, you might check out the
LIFE project [1], which has been through three cycles now. The first
couple focused on analysis of costing structures for various use cases
(including electronic journal content), and the third one focused on
creating a predictive model for the same. Check out the 'Documentation'
section for each.

For further reading, I always point people to the PADI resource pages
[2], which are just a fantastic source for pulling together major pieces
of work on most digital preservation topics. Looks like costing is no
exception[3].

Let me know if you run into more specific questions.

Best,

Steve

[1]: http://www.life.ac.uk/
[2]: http://www.nla.gov.au/padi/topics/thesaurus.html