What _ought_ to be easiest of all is getting our ILS's to NEVER export
Marc8 _ever_ again.  UTF8 only.

Sadly, that only ought to be easiest.

But IMO there's no reason any of us should be dealing with Marc8 ever
again.  The only thing that should deal in Marc8 is an ILS, and should
only input it, NEVER output it, UTF8 only, please!

But this is not the world we live in.

I tried to figure out how to custom add a new encoding to ruby 1.9 with
the idea of adding Marc8 as an actuall  ruby 1.9 character encoding
supported same as any other built in char encoding, but I couldn't
figure out if that was possible or how to do it.  If it was possible to
do at that low level in ruby 1.9, it might justify the time to do it.