>> Love the idea, but the form is now throwing a 404 error on submission.
>> Any chance it can be fixed?

Okay, it's fixed, at http://www.code4lib.org/custom_search/search_form.html

But the thing I can't fix, is the Google CSE is _weird_ with what
results it finds. It is kind of non-deterministic. You get 10 results
for a query one minute, 500k an hour later, and 0 two hours after that.

Sometimes you'll get only, say, 10 hits, but if you refine to what
should be a subset of those 10 hits, you'll get MORE than 10 hits.

I think that's just Google CSE, doesn't work quite as predictably as one
might want. Oh well, still perhaps useful.