> if Wikipedia is to be believed, there are books out there issued with
ISBNs that aren't valid, so any strong enforcement using the check
digit may lead to the occasional issue.

I can personally vouch for the veracity of Wikipedia on this point.  In
a library of our size, I've see it at least a few dozen times over the
years.  Moreover, a look at OCLC's "020 $z"s could undoubtly reveal many
more.

Publishers will be, well, let's say, human enough to make mistakes!

JJ

**Views expressed by the author do not necessarily represent those of
the Queens Library.**

Jane Jacobs
Asst. Coord., Catalog Division
Queens Borough Public Library
89-11 Merrick Blvd.
Jamaica, NY 11432
tel.: (718) 990-0804
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
FAX. (718) 990-8566

The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately