I blog extensively at WordPress, which uses akismet for spam
filtering.  I am frequently astonished at how well it works.  I
average maybe five to ten real comments per day and perhaps twice as
many spams.  Of those, maybe one or two real comments PER YEAR are
falsely flagged as spam, and perhaps five or ten spams per year not
caught.

Highly recommended.

-- Mike.