Ben Shneiderman at the Univ. of Maryland Comp Sci  dept  has done a considerable amount of work in this area...

I would encourage browsing some of his current and past projects, linked from his site:
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~ben/
depending on what specifically you are interested in, a number of the products coming out of his lab are in production out in the wild...

Jonathan LeBreton
Sr. Associate University Librarian
Temple University Libraries
Paley M138,  1210 Polett Walk, Philadelphia PA 19122
voice: 215-204-8231
fax: 215-204-5201
mobile: 215-284-5070
email:  [log in to unmask]