From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Julia Bauder
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 4:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] Examples of visual searching or browsing

Dear fans of cool Web-ness,

I'm looking for examples of projects that use visual(=largely non-text
and
non-numeric) interfaces to let patrons browse/search collections. Things
like the GeoSearch on North Carolina Maps[1], or projects that use
Simile's Timeline or Exhibit widgets[2] to provide access to collections
(e.g., what's described here:
https://letterpress.uchicago.edu/index.php/jdhcs/article/download/59/70)
, or in-the-wild uses of Recollection[3]. I'm less interested in knowing
about tools (although I'm never *uninterested* in finding out about cool
tools) than about production or close-to-production sites that are
making good use of these or similar tools to provide visual, non-linear
access to collections. Who's doing slick stuff in this area that
deserves a look?

Thanks!

Julia

[1] http://dc.lib.unc.edu/ncmaps/search.php
[2] http://www.simile-widgets.org/
[3] http://recollection.zepheira.com/

Julia Bauder

Data Services Librarian

Interim Director of the Data Analysis and Social Inquiry Lab (DASIL)

Grinnell College Libraries

1111 Sixth Ave.

Grinnell, IA 50112

641-269-4431