The "linearized" form of PDF is designed to do just that:  permit a PDF viewer to display the first page while still downloading the rest of the document.

The "pdfopt" utility, which I believe installs with ghostscript, will do this from the command line.  Alternatively you can save a PDF with "fast web view" enabled in Acrobat Professional.  There are surely other ways to create a linearized PDF, but those are the methods I've used.

-AB
--
Head, Digital Research Library
University Library System