On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Ross Singer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Yeah, we've been doing a lot with (and putting a lot of updates into)
> FreeCite.  We only use the webservice (although we don't use the
> OpenURL context object and instead added a JSON response).  It works
> pretty well (not always great, but certainly better than nothing) -
> especially for giving us something "good enough" to throw against some
> OpenLibrary and Crossref data to look for matches.  Basically what
> we're using it for is to go from a citation string to an RDF graph.
>
> BTW, there have been no problems with post-2000 dates (not to say that
> there aren't plenty of other problems) - this might have been either a
> training issue or something a later version of CRF++ worked out.  We
> also add the citations it couldn't parse correctly to its training
> data, which might help this.

Would you be interested in putting up an online form, like the one
Brown hosts, for public use, using your version of the codebase? Over
in the Zotero project, we keep directing people to FreeCite, but that
version is older and has parsing issues, so it'd be great to point
people to a more robust version.

As for the post-2000 issue, the Brown version
(http://freecite.library.brown.edu/) still shows it (just change the
date in the sample citation to elicit it), but my guess is that it
arose because the training data was limited to pre-2000 references.

Avram