A couple years ago, I used a crossmap of LC call numbers to subject
headings (admittedly out of date) to provide subject-labeled sort by call
number on an experimental catalog
search.http://lisv06.colgate.edu/profound/<%20%20%20%20%20%20%3C/div%3E%09%09%09%09http://lisv06.colgate.edu/profound/%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09>
The mapping came from  Mona Scott. Conversion
Tables<http://encore.colgate.edu/iii/encore/search/C%7CSmona+subject+scott%7COrightresult%7CU1?lang=eng&suite=def>
.<http://encore.colgate.edu/iii/encore/search/C%7CSmona+subject+scott%7COrightresult%7CU1?lang=eng&suite=def>
1999

I don't know how robust this is, but try searching a word that will appear
across subject areas, like "brown", to see the classification/subject
labels.

I read the tables into a database, and in a batch process, coded each call
number division by how deep into the hierarchy it was linked - the number
of indents from 1 to 6.  My ambition was to then try to find the most
frequently used subject headings in each step of the hierarchy (limited to
a workable range) to try to generate some semantic-net-like set of links
between subject headings and classification.  But I never was able to
pursue that goal.

Cindy Harper, Systems Librarian
Colgate University Libraries
315-228-7363