I want to propose a presentation topic that I would like to hear, rather than one I would like to give.Specifically, I am interested in advice on running regional "chapters" of code4lib. A few people met up a couple weeks ago to try to revive the defunct MD-DC-VA code4lib regional group. We discussed some reasons for the demise of the original group and were wondering what some of the stronger regional groups were doing that made them so successful.I would like to learn from members of those successful regional groups. Perhaps this could be a "birds of a feather" discussion rather than a presentation. I think it would be useful to the entire code4lib community. I would be willing to take notes and post the conclusions of the discussion to the wiki for other nascent regional groups to use.-Josh

Joshua Gomez
Digital Library Programmer Analyst
George Washington University Libraries
2130 H St, NW Washington, DC 20052
(202) 994-8267
>>> Anjanette Young  10/05/11 6:22 PM >>>
Code4lib 2012 call for proposals.

We are now accepting proposals for Code4lib 2012.

Code4lib 2012 is a loosely-structured conference for library technologists
to commune, gather/create/share ideas and software, be inspired, and forge
collaborations.  The conference will be held Monday February 6th
(Preconference Day) - Thursday February 9th, 2012 in Seattle, WA. More
information can be found at http://code4lib.org/conference/2012/

Prepared Talks

Head over to the call for proposals page at
http://wiki.code4lib.org/index.php/2012_talks_proposals and submit your idea
for a prepared talk for this year's conference!  Proposals should be no
longer than 500 words, and preferably many less.

Prepared talks are 20 minutes (including setup and questions), and focus on
one or more of the following areas:
 * tools (some cool new software, software library or integration platform)
 * specs (how to get the most out of some protocols, or proposals for new
ones)
 * challenges (one or more big problems we should collectively address)

The community will vote on proposals using the criteria of:
 * usefulness
 * newness
 * geekiness
 * diversity of topics
 * awesomeness

Proposals can be submitted through Sunday, November 19th, 5pm (PST). Voting
will commence soon thereafter and be open through Friday, December 9th.
Successful candidates will be notified by December 12th. The submitter (and
if necessary a second presenter) will be guaranteed an opportunity to
register for the conference through December 23st.

Proposals for preconferences are also open until November 19th, 5pm (PST).
http://wiki.code4lib.org/index.php/2012_preconference_proposals

We cannot accept every prepared talk proposal, but multiple lightning talk
and breakout sessions will provide everyone who wishes to present with an
opportunity to do so.

--Anj
Anjanette Young | Systems Librarian
University of Washington Libraries