Greetings,

The TEI Consortium's Special Interest Group on Libraries has recently
completed a major revision to the “Best Practices for TEI in
Libraries” (http://purl.org/TEI/teiinlibraries). The revised Best
Practices contain updated versions of the widely adopted encoding
levels, which span from fully automated reformatting of print content
to deep encoding to support content analysis and scholarly uses.  A
substantially revised TEI Header section supports greater
interoperability between text collections and MARC records.  In
addition, the Best Practices now include schemas for encoding levels
1-4, providing a mechanism to better ensure conformance and
interoperability of digital texts.

The “Best Practices for TEI in Libraries” formerly known as the "TEI
Text Encoding in Libraries: Guidelines for Best Encoding Practices"
will be officially unveiled at the 2011 TEI Members' Meeting and
Conference currently underway at the University of Würzburg in Germany
and at the end of this month at the Digital Library Federation Fall
2011 Forum to be held in Baltimore, 10/31-11/2.

The revamping of the "Best Practices" has been a work in progress for
several years.  We would like to extend our thanks to the members of
the "Best Practices" working group who devoted a significant chunk of
time envisioning and shaping this document and accompanying schemas.
We would like to especially thank Syd Bauman for his extensive work on
the schemas, which add significant value to the "Best Practices."
Finally, big, big thanks to the TEI Consortium and the Digital Library
Federation for sponsoring the TEI SIG on Libraries in various ways as
we undertook this effort.

We look forward to hearing from all of you who reference the "Best
Practices" and utilize the schemas.  Our work benefited greatly from
the larger community during various calls for public feedback.  Please
let us know what you think -- what works, what doesn't -- as you begin
integrating the "Best Practices" into your workflow.  If you encounter
any bugs or if you need new features, we have set up "issue tracking"
via GitHub (https://github.com/sydb/TEI-in-Libraries/issues).  You can
also post bugs or feature requests to TEILIB-L.

Onwards and Upwards,
Michelle Dalmau &  Kevin Hawkins
Conveners of the TEI SIG on Libraries