Hi All,

I started a page on our wiki for posting things related to our new open source project: http://www.loc.gov/extranet/wiki/osi/ndiip/ndsa/index.php?title=Open_Source_Software

I posted our use cases doc to it. The wiki didn't like my Word versions so I posted a PDF which isn't as readable as the attached doc. The context behind this doc is that we are trying to determine what our open source policy/processes should be at Harvard Library. There are four use cases which I think are relevant to the NDSA project and under each there are items or questions to consider. I included a brief section on characteristics of open source software after the use cases because I think it's important to understand that not all open source software has the same characteristics.

I also posted on that wiki page a link to a page on the Code4Lib wiki about a project to fund decision-support tools for libraries considering OSS. I don't quite understand the scope of that project but I think there's overlap.

Andrea

Andrea Goethals
Manager of Digital Preservation and Repository Services
Harvard University Library Office for Information Systems
(617) 495-3724