Issues related to provenance and access control are of great practical
importance to  the intelligence  and defense communities, as well as to the
financial sector.

There are multiple regions in the problem space that have been explored and
for which COTS/GOTS solutions are available.

One approach that might work for you is Role Based Access Control, or RBAC.
There is a nice introduction to the subject area available at NIST - see
http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/SNS/rbac/

I keep wanting to build a sandwich form factor data scanner capable of
reading private keys and other PIV data laser-etched onto thin strips of
pig,  thus implementing Roll Based Access Control using BACACs.  Maybe I
ought to run the idea past the guys at Fort Meat.

Simon