I think it would be worthwhile discussing what you can/cannot count on as
well as the reliability of certain data points.

There is a natural tendency among noncatalogers to rely on specifications
for figuring out what data will be where. However, some fields that may
seem perfect for an application may not be used at all, certain types of
data might appear in any one of multiple fields, and other types might not
be used as expected. Incorrect assumptions about what metadata contains and
its reliability will lead to trouble every time.

It might also be worth making some broad remarks on what you can reasonably
expect to accomplish with records encoded to certain major major standards
as well as their limitations and what you lose when you crosswalk from one
standard to another.

kyle

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Becky Yoose <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> There's been increasing discussion and interest about cataloging around
> this community (and others like it) for quite a while. I found some
> co-conspirators and we are planning to propose a pre-conference on
> cataloging/library metadata creation geared towards the huddled code4lib
> masses (otherwise known as coders) who are yearning for knowledge of this
> Darkest of Library Arts.
>
> We need you help before we post our proposal. We realize that there's a
> wide range of cataloging knowledge and experience in the community, and we
> want to make sure that those interested get the most out of the
> pre-conference. If this pre-conference has perked your interest, can you
> help us in letting us know:
>
> - What experience do you have with cataloging/library metadata creation?
> - What do you want us to cover? Do you have any questions that you want
> covered?
>
> This information will help us greatly in how we structure the
> pre-conference both in content and schedule. For now, we're planning a
> half-day pre-conference, but if there's enough interest between beginners
> and more experienced folks, we will consider offering two half-day
> preconferences in order to focus on specific participant needs.
>
> Feel free to ask questions as well - I'll try to answer them as best as
> possible given what our group has brainstormed so far.
>
> Thanks for reading,
> Becky
> Official cat[aloger] herder

> Becky Yoose