Thanks Cindy,
I was thinking that Hathi or eBrary or Google Books or OCLC data could be
good benchmarks too.
I'm also fascinated by trying to OCR extant copies of National
Bibliographies to get a historical take on the same issue (that's what I
meant by "historical").
Something like a Google nGram for the history of thinkers and cultural
influences based on citations rather than just mentions would be super kewl
to look at!
-matt