If I'm understanding you correctly, you're describing citation analysis
(sometimes referred to as a part of bibliometrics). It is mostly applied to
article data (e.g, the web of science / web of knowledge at ISI) but there
are zillions of studies looking at co-citation and co-authorship networks,
the long tail of cited works and authors, etc. You can hardly shake a stick
at JASIS&T without hitting two or three of these studies.

As you're probably already thinking, getting a hold of the citation
information in a machine-readable format is the painful part. Things are
made harder by your desire to work with books, since many citation are to
individual chapters for edited works, and (of course) books just plain
aren't generally available digitally.

Article searches (in google scholar or your local academic library) for
"bibliometrics" or "citation analysis" should get you started on past and
future work.

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Joe Hourcle <[log in to unmask]

--
Bill Dueber
Library Systems Programmer