It could be very helpful to have a short history of MARC.  AIUI,
MARC's purpose was to make automate the printing of catalog cards.
Searching, OPACs, etc, were bolted on later.  Maybe having an
understanding of why MARC looks like it does will help coders feel
less frustrated with some of its weird quirks - like Uniform Title.

I've found programmers to be fascinated by MARC once they begin to
understand why it is structured the way it is and (most importantly)
understand why it's not going to metamorphose either quickly or soon
into a form they might see as more logical or useful. :-)

--

Tania Fersenheim
Manager of Library Systems

Brandeis University
Library and Technology Services

415 South Street, (MS 017/P.O. Box 549110)
Waltham, MA 02454-9110
Phone: 781.736.4698
Fax: 781.736.4577
email: [log in to unmask]