Nina,
You might look at IntenseDebate [1], which is a commenting system
developed by the WordPress development team at Automattic [2].  It's
pretty easy to install: You cut and paste some JavaScript, customize the
CSS, and configure it as necessary.

It's all hosted, but the data is downloadable. It can be moderated and
comments have RSS feeds that make it easy to follow threads and users.
Users can authenticate through OpenID, Facebook, Twitter, and a host of
other services.  There are also spam management tools, though I'm not
sure if they have wired their Askimet plugin into it to prevent spam.  I
can't imagine them leaving it out.

[1] http://intensedebate.com/
[2] http://automattic.com/

Hope this helps,