"Most definitely we also need a coding-for-catalogers session, but this isn't it."

Will there be one?

Elisa

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Laura Smart
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2011 12:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Cataloging4Coders @ C4L12 - We need your brains

As a co-conspirator let me jump in here. In answer to Christine's
question - yes.  This is cataloging for non-catalogers - specifically
geared to coders. Hence the subject line "Cataloging4Coders" (grin).
I think people are somehow misunderstanding Becky's request for input.

The idea is to further understanding of cataloger culture and
cataloging concepts rather than teach "how to do descriptive
cataloging in x standard."  That would take way more than a half-day
or one-day workshop.  Plus there are already tons of great courses out
there by SAA, ALCTS, SCTP, etc.   I point the people interested in EAD
in that direction for training.

This CODE4LIB preconference would help coders deal with the metadata
they've got.  It's an explanation of why library metadata is the way
it is rather than a how-to roll your own.  The existing knowledge and
skills of those wanting to attend will determine how detailed we get.
 We're are trying to get a sense of the background knowledge of
potential attendees and the specific problems they encounter.

Most definitely we also need a coding-for-catalogers session, but this
isn't it.
Laura

Laura Smart
Metadata Services Manager