Thanks for posting, Laura. I sent an email to the list last night clarifying
things, but it seems that the listserv ate my email. I'm hoping that the
listserv software gets indigestion from it. :cP

One thing that I do want to mention: Re: help - while we have a small army
working away, if you want to help pitch in with planning, you are more than
welcome to do so.

Perhaps someone can plan a "coding4catalogers" session, either here or at
another conference... there was some talk about doing a cataloging
unconference at ALA some time ago.

Thanks again,
Becky

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 09:57:30 -0800, Laura Smart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>As a co-conspirator let me jump in here. In answer to Christine's
>question - yes.  This is cataloging for non-catalogers - specifically
>geared to coders. Hence the subject line "Cataloging4Coders" (grin).
>I think people are somehow misunderstanding Becky's request for input.
>
>The idea is to further understanding of cataloger culture and
>cataloging concepts rather than teach "how to do descriptive
>cataloging in x standard."  That would take way more than a half-day
>or one-day workshop.  Plus there are already tons of great courses out
>there by SAA, ALCTS, SCTP, etc.   I point the people interested in EAD
>in that direction for training.
>
>This CODE4LIB preconference would help coders deal with the metadata
>they've got.  It's an explanation of why library metadata is the way
>it is rather than a how-to roll your own.  The existing knowledge and
>skills of those wanting to attend will determine how detailed we get.
> We're are trying to get a sense of the background knowledge of
>potential attendees and the specific problems they encounter.
>
>Most definitely we also need a coding-for-catalogers session, but this
>isn't it.
>Laura
>
>----------------------------------
>Laura Smart
>Metadata Services Manager
>Caltech Library
>
>On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 6:46 AM, Christine Schwartz
><[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Hi Becky,
>>
>> Is this pre-conference going to be cataloging/metadata training for coders?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> Christine Schwartz
>> Metadata Librarian