If you want to see what node.js can do to implement a search mechanism take a look something one of my colleagues developed.  http://vivosearchlight.org

It installs a bookmarklet in your browser (take about 5 seconds) that will initiate a search against a solr index that contains user profile information from several institutions using VIVO (a semantic web application).  From any web page, clicking on the "Vivo Searchlight" button in your browser will initiate a search and find experts with expertise relevant to the content of the page.  Highlight some text on the page and it will re-execute a search with just those words.