As a side note to this, the communication issue is not unique between catalogers and coders. It is a common discussion topic (librarians vs. IT; emerging technology librarians vs. library coders; even web designers vs. web developers).  I hear about this a lot in library conferences. But of course, discussion there is mostly from the librarians' point of view. Since code4lib is unique in that many library coders get together, it would be good to hear the thoughts on this from the coders' point of view as well.

~Bohyun

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kelley McGrath
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:19 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Cataloging4Coders @ C4L12 - We need your brains

I am not by any stretch of the imagination a coder, but I think it would be helpful to have some discussion of common cataloger-coder communication issues. So many cataloger-coder discussions online seem to consist of people talking past each other (although I do think there is a much larger and less vocal common ground in the middle). In addition, I have sometimes seen my cataloger and coder/IT colleagues struggle to communicate with each other and find myself trying to translate. Are there ways to make that translation process easier or cultivate more translators? What do coders wish that catalogers knew about how computers interact with metadata?

I would also be interested in ideas on how to shift the conversation more towards underlying functionality. A central failing of computerized catalogs IMO is that they tend to replicate the literal form and actions of cards and the card catalog rather than tried to find a way to express the underlying functionality of the card catalog in a computer environment. This is also sometimes badly done because the programmers don't understand the point of what they're replicating (although to be fair, what they're trying to work with is often not in a form optimized for a computer environment). Uniform titles in many catalogs are a good example of this.

Kelley

PS Some of the other emails mention wanting help with understanding where real data differs from what's in specifications or differs over time or for other reasons. Speaking as a reasonably competent cataloger, I would say that, although some things can be anticipated in advance, I find this to inevitably be an iterative process.

PPS I'm looking forward to attending.