>  let people completely fend for themselves w/r/t to food/drink on the preconference day.

Coders consume from the "flat" food group.  Anything that fits beneath a door…

..jason

On 11-11-09 3:12 PM, "Kevin S. Clarke" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Kyle Banerjee <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
Yes, we have.  We've even had people want to come to the preconference
(and pay the preconference charge) but not attend the regular
conference.  :-)

They've wanted to do it, but have they actually been able to? What makes
c4l worthwhile is the ability to mix it up. If people attend with the
intention of just receiving specific training, they're not contributing and
that undermines the experience for everyone.

Yes... at least at the Asheville conference (though there were just a couple).

C4l has seen both free and paid preconferences and it's easy enough to
rationalize either.

Having put on a paid preconference, I think if I were to do it again
I'd make it free.  We received several comments about the lack of food
at the Asheville preconference (though we had coffee).  I think having
a price attached to it leads to expectations like that.  Perhaps it is
better to just say "The preconference is free... the price for the
conference is $150" ... let people completely fend for themselves
w/r/t to food/drink on the preconference day.

Fwiw...

Kevin