I am also interested in pursuing this.
I can certainly reach out to institutions in Europe that have been using
our preservation technology for some years.
I think such an exercise will help identify significant gaps in skills and
roles that are required.

Mark

Mark Evans
Digital Archiving Practice Manager
Tessella Inc
51 Monroe Street, Suite 702, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
E: [log in to unmask], T: (1) 240 403-7502, C: (1) 240 401 6256, F:
(1) 240 403-7507

http://www.digital-preservation.com

This message is commercial in confidence and may be privileged. It is
intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this message by anyone else
is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this message
in error, please inform the sender immediately. Please note that messages
sent or received by the Tessella e-mail system may be monitored and stored
in an information retrieval system.

Margaret Maes <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: The NDSA Standards working group list
11/10/2011 04:22 PM
Please respond to
The NDSA Standards working group list

cc

Subject
Re: [NDSA-STANDARDS] NDSA Standards and Practices - staffing and
organizing digital preservation

I am very interested in this.  It's the kind of things my member libraries
really want to know.

*********************************
Margaret K. Maes
Executive Director
Legal Information Preservation Alliance
P. O. Box 5266
Bloomington, IN  47407
Phone: 812-822-2773
mailto:[log in to unmask]
*********************************

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Meg Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Standards and Practices Working Group-
>
> Warning: this message has nothing to do with the current wiki work.  I'm
> going to attempt to use the Listserv to raise a new topic and we'll see
> what happens!
>
> Recently I've had several interesting conversations with people at other
> institutions about how the work of digital preservation is and should be
> organized and staffed within organizations.  We've touched on issues
like:
> what different roles are necessary to do digital preservation, what is
the
> division of labor, what kinds of skills are needed, are developers
within a
> digital preservation unit or outside it, would people be willing to
share
> org charts and position descriptions, and on and on.
>
> Information like this could be useful for many reasons, including simply
> finding out how many different ways of doing this there are,
benchmarking,
> identifying effective practices, and maybe making a case to strengthen
> staffing at our own institutions.
>
> This topic clearly isn't related to "standards", but it probably is
> related to "practices."  I was wondering if other members of this group
> would have any interest in conducting a survey of institutions to find
out
> how they organize and staff the digital preservation function, and how
they
> would like to organize and staff it.  We could do something relatively
> simple, on the model of the storage survey recently conducted by another
> NDSA working group.
>
> I would definitely be interested in working on something like this if
the
> group thought it was appropriate and worthwhile, and if anyone was
willing
> to work on it with me.  I'd be even more interested in seeing the
results
> of a survey like this!
>
> What do you think?
>
> Meg
>

> Meg Phillips
> Electronic Records Lifecycle Coordinator
> National Archives and Records Administration
> 301.837.3111

> write to: mailto:
> or click the following link:

http://list.digitalpreservation.gov/SCRIPTS/WA-DIGITAL.EXE?SUBED1=NDSA-STANDARDS&A=1