Nate,
From what I hear, these are increasingly common questions.

When the main stack is javascript, it just heightens the questions.
With the resurgence of javascript being used server-side with tools
like Node.js, client-side javascript MVC frameworks, and single-page
applications, lots of different folks are coming to different
conclusions about where it makes sense to do certain work. Some of
these client-side frameworks may make it more attractive to do things
client-side depending on your needs. I've also heard about frameworks
which essentially let you run the same javascript code either
server-side or client-side. So this is an interesting time for this
question, since there is so much experimentation being done around it
right now.

I don't know if this helps at all. You recently have more options
available than you had before for solving these kinds of problems.

Jason