To these I would add:

* Reuse. The call you're making may be providing data that would be useful
in other contexts as well. If you're generating application-specific html,
that can't happen.

But really, separation of concerns is the biggest one. Having to dig
through both template and code to make stylistic changes is icky. Now
excuse me, I have to go work with PHP. And then take a shower to try to get
the smell off me.

--
Bill Dueber
Library Systems Programmer