Michael,

If you think your use falls under Fair Use you may find the recently
released document from the Visual Resources Association useful

*Statement on the Fair Use of Images for Teaching, Research, and Study*. *
http://www.vraweb.org/organization/pdf/VRAFairUseGuidelinesFinal.pdf*.

Trish Rose-Sandler
Data Analyst, Biodiversity Heritage Library Project
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/