Simon,

You wrote:

> Q: In your definition, can *descriptions *be put* * into 1:1 correspondence
> with records (where a record is a atomic asserted set of propositions about
> a resource)?

I do not believe so, especially when referencing back to where we started -
the Marc Record.

A Marc record more often than not, contains propositions about many things:
 * The book itself (lets assume that's what the record is about) - isbn,
number of pages, cost, format, shelf location
 * The author - name, birth/death date
 * The publisher - name, location
 * Publication event - date, publisher, location
 * Subject(s)

In my view this record contains information to populate 5 or more separate
descriptions, plus the related links between them.

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

> > Yes, I realize that you were asking Richard, but I'm a bit forward, as we
> > know.

Karen, thanks for diving in ;-)

I do NOT see a description as atomic in the sense that a record is
> > atomic. A record has rigid walls, a description has permeable ones. A
> > description always has the POTENTIAL to have a bit of unexpected data
> > added; a record cuts off that possibility.

Yes.  Take the author thing from above. It may have it's basic, Marc record
derived information, enhanced, by merging with external resources, to add
an author's website or image.

> > That said, I am curious about the permeability of the edges of a named
> > graph. I don't know their degree of rigidity in terms of properties
> allowed.
> >

> Named graphs were supposed to be invariant under the original proposal;
>  there is a lot of mess around the semantics right now. Dan Brickley wrote
> a very nice example : http://danbri.org/words/2011/11/03/753 .

As per the comments on Dan's blog, it is dangerous to jump on named graphs
as the solution to perceived problems.  If I wanted to load RDF from three
separate libraries in to a triple store I would  assign them to three named
graphs, but then probably query the default global graph giving a merged
view.

Using named graphs to try to recreate our original source record seems to
defeat the [opening up] purpose of moving to Linked Data modeling in the
first place.  I also think it would add in a layer of complexity without an
obvious justifying data consumer use case.

~Richard

--
Richard Wallis
Technology Evangelist, Talis