Like any "mad as hell" moment, I'd advise you to take a few deep breaths
and wait a couple days before buying anything.

The question you should ask yourself -- AND PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD,
LET'S NOT HASH IT OUT ON THIS LIST!!! -- is, "How much of my time spent
futzing around with Linux instead of Getting Shit Done is
voting-with-my-feet worth to me?"

Because, really, you'll spend time futzing with linux, trying to get stuff
to work, cursing the many clipboards and config files and losing
productivity up the ying-yang because you're using a different (and, few
would argue, degraded) user environment.

Linux has come leaps and bounds in the last five years, and Ubuntu does a
good job, but it's simply not the same experience as using OSX or Windows.
If you *want* to spend time futzing with linux, that's a different story.
But if you want to actually get stuff done, think long and hard before
going down this path. Your time isn't worth nothing.

--
Bill Dueber
Library Systems Programmer