Seems like a hybrid system might make sense.

Reserve spots for presenters and scholarship winners, and decide on
both before registration opens. I'm sure it's difficult to coordinate
voting for presenters, and I know from having volunteered on the
scholarship committee that it would be difficult to complete that
process in time. But I think it would be worth it.

I think it also makes sense to reserve spots for some number of
volunteers. I think this would help with continuity, help to preserve
the idea that everyone is a participant, reward people who put in
considerable time, and also encourage more people to volunteer for the
more time-consuming jobs. As with presenters, volunteers would have to
pay for registration and their reserved spots would be
non-transferable. Code4lib could vote on which volunteer positions
guarantee the option to attend the conference.

I think the rest of the open spots could be divided between
first-come-first-served and a lottery system (50/50? 60/40?). The
people who are sitting at their computers the moment registration
opens would still get in, and the people who didn't know that was
required -- the newer folks whose participation is necessary for
code4lib to stay relevant -- would have a reasonable chance to see, in
person, what code4lib is all about.

Brett

Brett Bonfield
Director