Seems a reasonable suggestion to me.  The tricky bit will be how to
decide who's contributed substantially as a volunteer.  Or maybe I'm
overthinking it.  Otherwise, I like the blend of
first-come-first-served, guaranteed slots for folks who put in the
time, and a lottery system for those who don't register for code4lib
like they're trying to get free METALLICA* tickets.

-Mike

* Wait, are they still even around?