On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Roy Tennant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Having been one of those aforementioned people whining about the small
> conference experience, I hereby withdraw any objections I may have
> had. Let's celebrate the success of this community in its ability to
> welcome an ever-widening circle of technical librarians of all stripes
> and keep on truckin'.
>
> Let's see some proposals for next year that offer the ability to host
> a much larger conference than this year's and see what we can do with
> it.

I don't think there is a need for people who want the smaller
conference to withdraw their objections (unless they want to, of
course).  What it all boils down to, in my opinion, is the last
paragraph above.

Propose a conference of the style and size that you want and the
community will vote on it!

If the majority of the folks want a large conference with a different
style, that's what we'll have.  It may be that the people pining for
smaller conferences will then put more focus on the regional ones.

What it all depends on, in my opinion, is someone willing to step up
and say, "I'm willing to do the work to make X happen."  X might be a
small regional code4libcamp or it might be a large annual conference
(or it might be a small annual conference with better streaming, etc.)

The community has always had these long sprawling email conversations,
but what it really boils down to, in my opinion, is people from the
community willing to step up and put in the work to make something
happen.  Scratch your itches, folks!

Fwiw,
Kevin